9.18.2008

big and small.


My nephew was born last week, Jonathan Turner.  His entry into the world was anticipated by a pretty good crowd and even his three-year-old cousin was there at nearly midnight to welcome him.  My sister, who delivered this child with Audrey Hepburn-like grace and class, didn't even break a sweat and when it was all over, still had her mascara on.  

I didn't anticipate the melting phenomenon.  I've never been much of a "baby person," which is a phrase I often hear people say who are a bit cynical and probably a bit nervous, to be honest.  But then I saw him, from behind the plexi-glass window, being washed by a nurse.  She scrubbed his little red bottom and I could see his little face all screwed up in a grimace.  Our whole family, and my sister's in-laws and friends, we all watched.  And do you know what I did?  I sat down on the floor with my chin on the window sill and started crying.  I was the only one! Everyone else is cooing at baby Jonathan, laughing and saying how mad he must be to be so cold and wet and naked.  I pressed my face up against the bottom of the glass to hide my tears from everyone.  I turned into mush, smashed-up with butter and milk mashed-potato face.  That was me.

When my sister asked me to hold him the next morning, the only thing I could concentrate on was not dropping him, hearkening back to memories of the first day we had our Golden Retriever puppy, Jake, in the house and I dropped him from standing onto the wood floor in the kitchen... on his head.  I think I ran into my room and cried.  Are you sensing a reactionary pattern?  I have always hated the fact that I cry when I'm overwhelmed with any emotion because it makes me feel so--ridiculous.  But it's good, I suppose, to be reminded of my own mediocrity.  It causes me to anticipate with eagerness the ways I will one day express the emotion I intend with creativity and grace in heaven.  Anyway, when Hannah handed me her son, I awkwardly cradled him in my arms and said a prayer as she passed him off to me.  I may have been sweating.  

But then I sat back in the chair and nestled the little guy up in the crook of my elbow.  He squirmed around in his swaddled cloths and I called him "Wormy" and stared at his small button nose and his eyes half-opened.  And after some time, when the room was quiet and my sister was dozing off in the hospital bed, I did the only thing I knew how to.  I began to sing, soft and sweet.  He stopped fidgeting and went loosely still.  I think the words of the old Beatles song, "Blackbird," drifted into his infant ears and settled in a little cranny in his memory.  I think we bonded.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...reminds me of two little girls and another little baby boy so long ago...

Di said...

found your blog on facebook, gotta love the internet... i was so excited to see your sister at lauren mueller's wedding... tell her and her hubby congrats on the beautiful babe and congrats to you too on your upcoming wedding :) so exciting!!!

Fohner Family said...

What the heck? Ginny Ficker! First of all, when did you grow up? Second of all, Hannah had a baby?

Oh my goodness, how time has flown. I saw a link to your blog on Di's site (my husband & mine's blog is listed there, too).

Craziness...looks like things are well. I think about the Ficker's often. Tell the whole fam I said hi!

Hit me up sometime to say hi...where do you live now?

P.S. It's Lynsey Bateman, by the way...the different last name throws old friends off sometimes.

Di said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Mallare said...

Congrats on the engagement and aunt-hood. I'll be waiting eagerly for my wedding invitation for you and ol' what's his name get hitched...(jk)...Glad to hear everything's moving and shakin!
-JP

PS you're a great writer!

Followers