6.23.2010

comedy at the post office.

Every time I go to the Post Office something absurd happens. Last time a woman had a seizure and I called 911. I should write an entire blog about trips to the Post Office. There are three workers there: Joanne, Darius and this other guy at whose counter I never end up.

I am in the process of trying to procure an agent for the novel I spent the last year and a half writing. Some agents require e-mail submissions: a query letter pitching the story, a synopsis of the plot, a few chapters. It's all very simple by e-mail. About half of the agents, however, have remained in the old school and require hard copy submissions. I think I like this better, but it's complicated. In this case, you print and mail all of the elements, though it's a bit more tricky because they have to be precisely and perfectly printed with proper margins, spacing and pagination. I have recently acquired a printer (phew), but when it comes to sending out 50 pages of the book, I'd rather use a copy machine.

Today I went to the post office to mail out 4 query packages to various literary agents from California to New York City. The first two only required a query, synopsis and SASE, saying that they would let the writer know if they wanted to see more. Hmm. The other two required those first 50 pages. I printed one set and headed to the Post Office to make copies for the other query.

Joanne is a tall, formidable African American woman with these great big beautiful eyes and a laugh that carries down the hall, past the post office boxes, and out the front door. She makes fun of me each and every time I come, though it is she that wears purple nail polish and lip stick. I like her a lot. I had to purchase the envelopes for the large packet submissions, but didn't have cash for the very archaic copy machine (the kind that costs 15 cents a copy, only takes change or $1.00 bills, and allows you to lay one page on the screen at a time underneath of the folding top... can you picture it?) I paid to send a package to a friend and got $20 cash back, informing Joanne that I'd need ten $1 bills and one $10 bill. She gave me one of those "You've gotta be kidding me" looks.

"I don't have that kind of change! What do you take me for?"

"Joanne, look. I am trying to get a book published here. You've got to help me."

"You wrote a book?"

"Yes."

"Wow. Alright, here. Take five $1 bills. That's the best I can do."

Fine. One thing about Joanne--you can't be meek. You've got to be a bull dog.

Fifteen minutes later I get through 30 of the 50 pages and my dollars run out. Fantastic. I go back to Joanne, apologetically holding up the $5 bill.

"Please change this to ones for me."

"No!"

"Yes! Please, I need you to."

Dramatic roll of the eyes. "I'm not going to have ANY one dollar bills left, girl! What am I supposed to do."

I shrug with wide eyes.

Huge sigh. She gives me the ones. I finish the job, return to Joanne to check out and ship the parcels.

"You need a signature on these?"

"Nope."

"You sure?" She's concerned, knowing the value of my work.

"Yeah," I say. I'm too poor, I think.

"Alright. It's $5.97. Listen, you owe me for this."

"I know. Thanks," I reply.

"Bring me a smoothie or something. I'm parched. It's hot out."

"Mhmm."

I'll take her one, too. Later today.

3 comments:

Hannah Adams said...

did you take here smoothie??!!!

i just LOVE your dialogue.

my verification word is: mulersti. i thought youd like that.

Sara Fischer said...

I assume you are talking about the Ardmore Post Office. I go there about 2-3 times a week to mail books I've sold on Amazon, although my experience is much more in-an-out. I am on a mission. My books are wrapped, taped, addressed. I shake my head when Darius goes through the usual "anything liquid, perishable, fragile, hazardous." Me: "Nope. Just books." And then there is the next schpiel which goes something like "first class, priority, 2-day" to which I say "Whatever is cheapest, and please check the rate for media mail." And then "delivery confirmation?" "Nope." My last trip there was an old lady at the counter in front of me whose package was taped incorrectly. She stood at the counter to fix it and then proceed to pay partly in cash (picking all the coins from her wallet slowly) and partly by check. You can imagine how antsy I was. I even caught Darius rolling his eyes and he knew that I caught him. He also knew my on-a-mission style when I go in there and I'm sure knew that I was dying being behind this lady. You've inspired me to slow down next time I am there and perhaps to bring a personal touch and care for the workers there!

Sara Fischer said...

PS--did you know that the Ardmore branch is closing Dec 31st? Sad.

Followers