12.09.2010

i wouldn't say i'm a 'dog person.'

Historically, Mark is the most difficult person to shop for at birthdays and Christmastime because he doesn't want anything. I've tried suggesting things, new clothes, new technology, new music. He is always polite, sort of shrugs and smiles and says, "That's fine." I think maybe the only thing he has ever actually asked for specifically, besides a new pair of football cleats, is a dog. So you can imagine my frustration, being someone who thought I might get away with a dog-free existence when I moved out of my parents' house. I am EASY to shop for and Mark has given me incredible gifts--trips, jewelry, devices and clothes to keep me warm in winter most commonly--so I wanted to be able to do the same.

But I did not want a dog.

Fast forward a year and a half. And meet Sidney.









It had become an issue as much of my not wanting the inconvenience/mess/no sleep effect/DOG HAIR/massive warm body in the little house that could weigh as much as me (God forbid), as an issue of resistance. I realize this now. How juvenile. About three months ago, as I sat on the white rocker on the front porch with my feet tucked up under me, drinking coffee and reading my Bible, it occurred to me that Mark doesn't just want a dog. He needs a dog. A pal to train and take care of, to own and love. He needs a friend to come home to who wants to play, throw a ball, run around the house. This will NEVER be me, thus, the dog. Furthermore, it occurred to me how my introverted husband would be blessed to be loved unconditionally by one who wouldn't ask him details of his day, what he's thinking when he isn't talking, or if he would mind deep cleaning the bathroom, pretty please. The dog doesn't care if there is toothpaste splatter on the mirror.

I wanted an English Golden. He wanted a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. We went with the Swissy, considering all of the above. The dog would be for him. I specifically remember saying to someone, "I'm sure the dog will hate me and love Mark. I'll probably be so hard on her."

Well, well, well. Not so. I submit to the fact that I was wrong. I have fallen in love.



Wouldn't you? I mean, OH.MY.GOSH. look at that dog. Little Sidney Evans is this incredible, tiny, floppy, clumsy, easy-going foot heater with massive paws that makes me laugh just by looking at her, and I've transformed into a gushy care bear of a human when I'm around her. I promise that I will not become a person who discusses her pet as if she is a child prodigy, nor will my blog become a platform for Sidney worship, but let me take this post to say

THIS DOG MAKES ME SIMPLY BLISSFUL.

(except when she pees on my favorite rug.)

2 comments:

Brittany White said...

I love this post! Congrats on the new addition! She is absolutely precious :)

brett baker said...

ginnnnnnyyyyyyy! I wasn't a dog person until I met our little guy, either! Congrats. She is ADORABLE!

Followers