1.03.2011

a lot of stuff i don't deserve.

Since I didn't get to see my parents during Christmas, I flew down on Thursday to spend New Years with them in Florida. It was a breezy, relaxing, reading, sleeping, eating, running, sunning, chatting kind of time. Glorious, really. Mark stayed up in NC and hosted a bunch of out-of-town friends for the holiday (planned after I booked my flight to FL...) He took care of the dog, gave our bed to our friends and slept on the couch, cooked food, made coffee, did the whole "hostess" thing, only as a host. I was impressed!

Yesterday I flew home. There were some irritating complications with the flight and I should have been home by 3:45. I ended up pulling into our neighborhood at 5:30, generally tired and frustrated. There was a temptation to call Mark and see if he had at least put our sheets in the washing machine, but I resisted, remembering that where he had spent the past week working, cleaning, hosting, etc., I had been laying around reading the biography of Deitrich Bonhoeffer and drinking wine. On Ebert Street, this one house still has all of their Christmas decor up. I thought, "Ugh, if only I didn't have to take down the tree some night this week after work." And dinner... I did not feel like making dinner.

As I neared the house I saw (GASP) the Christmas tree undone and laying on its side on the curb! When I walked inside, the entire house was spotless. Even dust-free. Vaccuumed. Some ornaments were already boxed, while others sat waiting to be sorted and organized. The beds were both made, with clean sheets. The bathroom was clean and there was even a new package of toilet paper!

Mark heard me come in from the back of the house in the kitchen and said, "Hey babe! Watch this." And he showed me how he had taught Sid the Dog how to sit down on command! And stay! Can you believe this??

Of course, I was totally flabbergasted by this extraordinary feat of love. "What would you like me to make for dinner?" I asked, now delighted to do something for him, as he had done SO much for me.

"I already made dinner." He winked.

I stared.

"Salmon! Your favorite."

4 comments:

brett baker said...

WHAT A HUNK! This is wonderful, Ginny. And for the record, I think you DO deserve it.

Brittany White said...

wow. Thats awesome. Can I just attest that Mark was a WONDERFUL host. The best. Thank you for giving up you're bed, and letting us play with your precious puppy! You should definitely be proud of that amazing hubby of yours! And to ditto Brett, you for sure deserve it. Love yall!

Hannah Adams said...

Ginny, he's wonderful. I love him, love him, love him.

Susannah said...

Cutest thing ever.

Followers