4.11.2011

thanks.

August of 2008 does not seem like that long ago--a few months after I graduated college, living in Greensboro, NC with my pregnant (for the first time) sister, engaged, working at a coffee shop. That was the month I started this blog, and it recently struck me that that was nearly THREE years ago! Time feels suspended, and I don't feel like I have aged at all, much less three years. But I have, and it is real to me most lucidly in the more easy going, less insecure, meeker, hopefully more refined quality of my heart. A wine that has aged a few years is better. If it ages several dozen years and is kept well, it can be exquisite. Hope for the future.

But when I realized that n2sh.blogspot has been around for that long, I was overcome with thankfulness for those that read it. As much as I hate to admit it, much of my courage in writing comes from feedback, rather than self-assurance. Recently, I have been given the gift (perhaps in response for my desperate prayers for SOME KIND OF ENCOURAGEMENT GOOD GRIEF) of a few n2sh readers mentioning that they read this blog. It is irrational the vote of confidence this is, like hearing that someone loves your singing voice after they overhear you in church and you suddenly wonder if you could go somewhere with it. But to know that people visit once, and then return is unbelievable to me! Why?? I don't imagine anyone actually typing the URL into their browser, but I guess you must (Yes, YOU) unless it's a link you have clicked or, I can hardly imagine, is a tab or a favorite (unless you're my sister, because I know she's tabbed me).

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks. Especially recently, hearing through the grapevine, or hearing to my ears, some votes of confidence. I really, really appreciate it.

Tomorrow night I am going to see the author Emily Giffin present at Wake Forest University (of which she is a graduate) on her book series beginning with Something Borrowed. I don't typically read chick lit, but picked up the book at the used bookshop for three bucks. I'm excited because my current book project, Roma Roma, is something that I am VERY excited about, and is a muted form of chick lit. I'm double crossing my fingers that I get to meet her and, more importantly her agent (Theresa Park). Please, please send prayers up for me tomorrow!

6 comments:

LP said...

haha you should know you are on my bookmarks toolbar!!!! sorry for never responding...love you and love reading about your life. love you, gin!
lindsey p

Ellie Sibiga said...

Can't wait to hear about your time with Emily G. I think you're something special, Gin! Love you.

Katie said...

gin, you are totally on my blogger "blogs i'm following" list. love your blog, love you more!
miss you!

Laurie said...

I've bookmarked you and Hannah as well and always enjoy reading what my cousins have to say. Can't wait to read your books! -Laurie Ficker

Ma said...

People, I read her multiple times per post ~ brag about her ALL THE TIME ~ discovery, it's only a matter of the randomly orchestrated connection. It's going to be like the discovery of MJ, I mean cut from his HS team for cryin out loud. Or J Grisham ~ how long before the discovery of A Time to Kill, his first book, I mean that was after The Firm ~ c'mon people. So, keep writing my curly girl ~ you most definitely have it and you will be found because gems always are...

Marissa said...

i love your sweet humility, gin. but be encouraged, you are definitely on my 'favorites' bar. not only because you are one of my favorite people, but because your writing is my ABSOLUTE favorite. you and han have always had a way of bringing a reader into your world as you create pristine pictures with your words. kyle and i even talked about that on our way to CH. you are loved, my friend. i hope tomorrow goes so well!!!

Followers