8.06.2010

irony - i am laughing.

On one of those unbearably long road trips from Fort Myers, FL, to JMU after a summer of driving no more than twenty miles to hit the beach at Sanibel Island, my mom said something totally uncharacteristic that I will never forget. "On road trips, I live to eat."

Mark and I are, as I type, in the thick of a road trip. I sit in a Starbucks on Trade Street in Charlotte, NC with incredible natural lighting as a result of the number of windows. This Starbucks has great ambiance and I have just been sitting in a green velvet chair reading Stephen King's memoir, On Writing. We are headed to Beaufort, South Carolina for the weekend to visit dear friends we met traveling in Israel. They are precious, in their fifties, just moved from New York state to the shore in Beaufort because they wanted to. They're delightful and happy and the last time we saw them was at our wedding 2 Mays ago.

We got to leave early today because Mark has an appointment for work here in Charlotte. Here is where all of these facts come together.

I really want a large Lemonade from Chick-fil-a. I have been craving these lately, but I can't justify spending $2.22 any old day. But a road trip justifies a nonconventional drink purchase, right? When the GPS system said we were 15 minutes from our destination, the place Mark was headed for this appointment, we started looking for a Chick-fil-a where I could be dropped off to purchase a Lemonade, hang out, refill said Lemonade, hit the bathroom, until he returned to get me.

We scoured the GPS to find the closest CFA, but there wasn't one, hence I sit in Starbucks, but I do not want coffee.

Just a second ago I was sitting here and looked up out of these incredible windows, and there was a man, sauntering past, holding a Chick-fil-a cup! No. It cannot be.

Turns out, there is a Chick-fil-a somewhere around here... internet says it is within 0.1 miles. Here's the catch... I didn't bring my cell. Mark said he'd just come back for me.

Do I go get the Lemonade and search for a pay phone?

No comments:

Followers