8.12.2010

wanted: taste tester for doughnuts.

Living the dream is called being paid thirty dollars in cash to be a famous local doughnut corporation that shall remain nameless taste-tester for one hour.

Last week I heard from a temp in the doc’s office where I work part-time that the doughnut brand we'll call Crinkly Custard was hiring ‘townspeople’ to test their newest potential line of doughnuts. I called the hotline, spoke to a nice little woman who shall remain nameless and was, in fact, assured that I would be paid cash to taste five doughnuts. Immediately I agreed and signed up for 3:00 Wednesday.

Today I drove fifteen minutes to the middle of nowhere/High Point, NC region and arrived at the CC Factory location. Went inside to find a few of my friends (who I turned onto this coveted wage labor) and was ushered into a board room of comfortable black leather swivel chairs, mini water bottles and small piles of saltine crackers.



The woman in charge entered the room once the test group was all seated and informed us that we were participating in a “market research study” to determine which of the potential doughnuts would take flight if introduced to the general doughnut-consuming public. She used very official language, which made me laugh because we were tasting doughnuts.

Instructions such as “We suggest you take bites or a bite of each doughnut so that you don’t get so uncomfortably full that you don’t enjoy the last samples” and “We suggest that after each sample you sip the water, eat a cracker, and sip the water once more in order to cleanse your palate.” Meanwhile, I’m staring at the bajillion CC posters from years and years of epic fried dough advertising. I swear this is all true.

Next, this chick in a very short hot pink dress comes out with a tray hoisted above her shoulder of individual doughnuts on doilies, delivering them like a 1920s waitress on skates. My three friends and I couldn’t stop laughing, which apparently aggravated the woman in the row ahead of us because she kept turning to look over her shoulder and give us the eye. Anyway, this very adorable girl delivers the most ornate, enormous doughnuts I've seen in a long time, along with forks and knives, for tasting. This occurred five times over the course of the hour.



Near the end, my cell phone alarm (which I did not set, thank you) went off, probably botching the whole study because it disturbed the taste-testing zen, and to which my friend hissed, “they told us to turn those off!”

How’d I get the pictures? You’ll be glad to know, bloggies, that I snuck my camera into the taste test because it was just too good to be true. I needed to prove it. Thanks local doughnut mecca that shall remain nameless!

Lessons learned:
-Don't judge a doughnut by its frosting.
-Sometimes life does get handed to you on a silver platter.
-We weren't wrong. Getting paid to taste yummy food really is the best job on earth.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I like that you went to the trouble to give it a code name and then posted the picture of us infront of the large sign that says, "Krispy Kreme" :) Hahahahahahahaha AWESOME!

Followers